On-site laboratory screening
Not every illness in your pet can be seen externally. Sometimes we need to run a blood sample to see if there are any underlying issues. We have in-house lab equipment that allows us to run multiple tests. These tests include:
- Complete Blood Count (CBC) - Allows us to see if there are any abnormalities in your pets red and white blood cells, such as anemia, dehydration, infection, blood clotting ability and immune system response
- Chemistry - Allows us to see the function of the liver, kidneys, thyroid and checks the blood glucose in your pet
- Heartworm/Lyme disease test - A 10 minute test that requires only 3 drops of blood and tests for Heartworm, Lyme disease and two other tick borne diseases (Ehrlichiosis & Anaplasmosis)
- Urinalysis - Checks your pet's urine for the presence of infection, sugar, pH level, blood and urinary crystals
- Feline Leukemia + FIV test - A feline test that takes about 10 mins and requires 3 drops of blood. It tests for 2 infectious diseases in cats (Feline Leukemia & FIV).
Idexx Reference Laboratory
Sometimes there are more complex tests that we cannot do in-house. We send these tests out to our reference lab - Idexx. Located in Markham, ON they are efficient, knowledgeable and essential for certain diagnostics such as histopathology of a mass or testing for certain diseases (ie: cushing's disease).